For centuries the church has paired its church year—focused on Christ’s life, death, and resurrection—with a second calendar that uses the lives of saints as a lens to see God’s gracious acts. Evangelical Lutheran Worship has continued that practice with its calendar of festivals and commemorations. In this volume of More Days for Praise, teacher and scholar Gail Ramshaw shows that those whom the church has lifted up are both faithful and fascinating, always pointing to Christ. Here is a guide to help you include these observances in your prayer life.
Each day’s entry includes
- A brief chronology of the person’s life
- A summary of why the person is remembered by the church
- An image of, or related to, the commemoration
- A quote from the person, where possible
- Devotional hymn and prayer suggestions for the day
Festivals and Commemorations in Evangelical Lutheran Worship