Serving as bishop of the Texas-Louisiana Gulf Coast Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America since 2007 is an honor, a challenge, and a joy. It has given me the opportunity to work with many gifted pastors and committed people of faith. We’re creating communities that make disciples who serve the world in Jesus’ name.
For information updated weekly (sometimes daily) on news, events, ideas, books, schedules, and so on, visit my blog.
Evangelism is one of my passions, and our synod’s highest priority. Evangelism is making fully devoted followers of Christ, who taught love of God and neighbor as the greatest commandments. Every congregation is a mission, and every pastor is a missionary.
Together we plant new congregations, send missionaries, prepare rostered leaders, support companion synods, camps, campus ministries, and more. Our vision is to be a network of growing, Christ-centered, outwardly-focused congregations passing the faith to the next generation.
Born: August 2, 1961, Columbus, Ohio
Children: John and Yuliana
Parents: Warren and Patricia Rinehart
Undergraduate studies: Bachelor of Music in organ performance from Valparaiso University, a Lutheran university in northern Indiana, 1983
Seminary: Masters of Divinity from Trinity Lutheran Seminary, Columbus, Ohio, 1988.
- St. Paul Lutheran Church, Davenport, Iowa (1988-1994)
- Christ Lutheran Church, Charlotte, North Carolina (1994-1997)
- Grace Lutheran Church, Conroe, Texas (1997-2007)
- Bishop, Texas-Louisiana Gulf Coast Synod (2007-present)
- Texas Lutheran University Corporation Board
- Houston Coalition for Immigration Reform
- Board of the Houston Coalition for Mutual Respect
Contact Bishop Mike Rinehart: