ELCA World Hunger
As members of the ELCA, we are called to respond. We are a church that rolls up our sleeves and gets to work.
Working with and through our congregations, in the United States, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands Lutheran churches overseas and other partners, ELCA World Hunger is uniquely positioned to reach communities in need. From health clinics to microloans, water wells to animal husbandry, community meals to advocacy, your gifts to ELCA World Hunger make it possible for the ELCA to respond, supporting sustainable solutions that get at the root causes of hunger and poverty.
- 815 million people around the world – that’s more than 1 in 10 – can’t access the food they need to live active, healthy lives.
- According to the most recent estimates, 766.6 million people live in extreme poverty on less than $1.90 per day. That’s 10.7% of the world’s population.
- At some point in 2016 (the most recent year available), more than 41.2 million people in the United States were unsure where their next meal might come from.
- 40.6 million Americans were living in poverty in 2016. For a family of four, this means their annual household income was below $24,563.
“Make us worthy, Lord, to serve our fellow brothers and sisters throughout the world, who live and die in poverty and hunger. Give them, through our hands, this day their daily bread, and by our understanding love , give peace and joy.” -Mother Teresa of Calcutta
How can we respond?
- Pray about world hunger
- Educate yourself and your congregation about both local and global hunger issues
- Share stories to better under the complexities of hunger
- Give to ELCA World Hunger: encourage your congregation to take a special offering.
~ Isaiah 58:6-7