Take steps to be as prepared as you should be for an emergency response to disaster. Become a 72 Hour Lutheran, a person who has enough supplies in their home to meet their household’s basic needs for 72 hours.
Being prepared to take care of your own family allows you to then reach out and help others within the community.
- Use the 72 Hour Lutheran checklist for supplies
- Determine escape routes
- Make an evacuation plan for all pets
- Share one out of state emergency contact with all your family and friends
- Call your church and be sure your information is correct
- Know the vulnerability of your home and the safest areas within it
Gulf Coast Leaders & Congregations
- If a hurricane hits your area, make sure you and your family have all the necessary supplies to be a 72 Hour Lutheran
- If you are planning on evacuating, let the synod office know where you are going. Please include a contact number, address, and the name of a local contact.
- Once the hurricane hits your area, please contact us by email, call synod office 281.873.5665, or using social media, and let us know how you’re doing.
- Make sure you have a system to check on the elderly and their caregivers to make sure they have a plan to evacuate or shelter in place with food and supplies. Also, include checking on single parents or parents who work in emergency services (EMS, medical personnel, firefighters), who may not be home during a hurricane leaving family with needs.
- Plan to gather for worship on the Sunday following a storm, even if you do not have electricity – a prayer service in the parking lot or something for the community to gather and pray.
- Plan to respond to needs in your own community once you have cared for your members.
- A place for cell phone charging, if you have a generator
- Child care for parents whose homes are impacted
- Cold water
- Grills to cook food (that would spoil in the freezer)
- Crews to cut trees and help households
Help us respond to disasters by donating to the Synod Disaster Fund (you may specify a disaster in the line provided).
Should we avoid an unwelcome situation this season, consider a trip, special offering, or some support to those who do not. In times of crisis, we have the opportunity and responsibility to respond.
Prepare your work outside, get everything ready for you in the field;
and after that, build your house.
~ Proverbs 24:27