By Lisa Brenskelle
The mission of Lutherans Restoring Creation is to promote incorporation of care for creation into the full life and mission of the church, working in five areas: worship, education, discipleship, building & grounds, and public ministry/advocacy. For some timely information in these areas, see below:
It’s the Season of Creation! Join online ecumenical observances of the Season of Creation on 9/1 and 10/4. Listen to Encouraging Faith Communities to Vote to learn how to address voting from the pulpit. Check out the liturgical resources at Creation Justice Ministries’ Resource Hub. A new creation-focused prayer is posted each week. Creation-focused commentaries on the lectionary are available.
Learn How to Reduce Your Carbon Footprint online on 9/25. Get educated online on solutions to climate change in Climate Solutions 101 (starts 10/13). Be wowed by the amazing sensory abilities of animals in Immense World Book Discussion Group (starts 9/1) online. Heat in Houston is not distributed equally – hear about this justice issue in this online talk on 9/11. Learn to Green Your 401K.
Share these “Bulletin blurb” eco-tips (+ verses & quotes). Reduce your carbon footprint in the online Living the Change Weekly Discussion Group (starts 9/7). Join Creation Care 101 monthly online (starts 9/8) to improve your care of creation (indicate Lutherans Restoring Creation as the group/church). Enjoy practicing spirituality in nature in Forest Bathing & Earth Examen (on 9/17) and Garden Tour & Prayer with Eyes Wide Open (on 10/8).
Building & Grounds
Join the online monthly Creation Care 101 (starts 9/8) to take a closer look at your church’s care of creation (indicate Lutherans Restoring Creation as the group/church). Learn how your church can become a hub of climate resilience. Check out the drawdown business-aligned framework to explore how to secure a stable climate and just future. Get inspired by these eco-reformation projects at various churches. The IRA (Inflation Reduction Act) contains provision for a 30% rebate on solar installation for non-profits. Get 30% back, and enjoy a volume discount by participating in a solar co-op.
The weekly Opportunities to Care for, Learn About, and Enjoy God’s Good Creation features volunteer events in the greater Houston area (see upcoming opportunities link). Consider how to vote faithfully in the online Faithful Voter Weekly Discussion Group (starts 9/13). Plan now to participate in the Interfaith Environmental Stewardship Event on 10/16 in Houston. Join other Lutherans on 9/24 to Run in the Park in Houston (or virtual). Check out Texas Impact’s 2022 legislative priorities. Join the Lutherans Restoring Creation bike team for Bike Around the Bay on 10/23 and/or 10/24 in Galveston/Baytown.
September & Early October Creation Care Events
- Immense World Book Discussion Group for the Season of Creation Thursdays, September 1 – October 6, 5 p.m., online
- Living the Change Weekly Discussion Group Wednesdays, September 7 – November 30 (except Nov. 23), 6 p.m., online
- Creation Care 101 2nd Thursday/month, beginning September 8 (thru April 2023), 6 p.m., online (indicate Lutherans Restoring Creation as your church/group)
- Heat in Houston: Justice Implications, Solutions, & How People of Faith Can Engage Sunday, September 11, 3:30 p.m., online.
- Faithful Voter Weekly Discussion Group Tuesdays, September 13 – November 1, 6 p.m., online
- Forest Bathing & Earth Examen Saturday, September 17, 9 – 11:30 a.m., Montgomery County Nature Preserve, 1122 Pruitt Road, The Woodlands 77380
- Join other Lutherans to Run for the Park Saturday, September 24, 8 a.m. Hermann Park, 1700 Hermann Dr., Houston 77004 or virtual (i.e. run at home)
- Voter Registration Event Sunday, September 25, 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., Christ the King, 2353 Rice Blvd., Houston 77005 (for voters residing in Harris county)
- How to Reduce Your Carbon Footprint Sunday, September 25, 6 p.m., online
- People’s Ecochallenge Wednesday, October 5 – Wednesday, October 26, online. Join the Lutherans Restoring Creation – Gulf Coast team.
- Garden Tour & Prayer with Eyes Wide Open Saturday, October 8, 10 a.m., Houston Botanic Garden, One Botanic Ln. (at 8210 Park Place Blvd.), Houston 77017
- Native Plant Pollinator Garden Fall Refresh Saturday, Oct. 15, 10 a.m., Christ the King, 2353 Rice Blvd., Houston, 77005. Contact [email protected] to volunteer.
- Climate Solutions 101 Thursdays, October 13 – November 17, 5 p.m., online
- Fall 2022 Interfaith Environmental Stewardship Event Sunday, October 16, 1:30 – 4:30 p.m., Willow Waterhole Greenspace, 11350 Ricecrest, Houston 77035
For more information on any of the above, or for creation care assistance/information, contact the synod Lutherans Restoring Creation Team by writing to Lisa at [email protected]. The team is seeking additional members. If you would be willing to serve, please contact us.