72 Hour Lutheran
Hurricane season is from June 1 through November 30. We may not be as prepared as we need to be. We encourage each and every one of you to become a 72 Hour Lutheran, a person who has enough supplies in their home to meet their household’s basic needs for 72 hours.
Help the members of your congregation become 72 Hour Lutherans by using this bulletin insert.
How do I become a 72 Hour Lutheran?
A 72 Hour Lutheran is a person who happens to be Lutheran and has enough supplies in their home to meet their household’s basic needs for 72 hours.
- Discuss the type of hazards that could affect your family. Know your home’s vulnerability to storm surge, flooding, and wind. Locate a safe room or the safest areas in your home for each hurricane hazard. In certain circumstances, the safest areas may not be your home but within your community.
- If necessary, determine an escape route from your home and designate places to meet. (Note: these should be measured in tens of miles, rather than hundreds of miles.) Have an out-of-state friend as a family contact so all your family members have a single point of contact.
- Make a plan now for what to do with your pets if you need to evacuate.
- Call the church and make sure that they have all your information.
- Create a disaster supply kit
- Proper identification
- Immunization records
- Medicines, Prescriptions
- Waterproof bag for important documents and items
- Battery operated and NOAA weather radio
- Fully charged cellphone, charger, power bank, etc.
- Access to a traditional (non-wireless) landline phone, in your
home or at a nearby trusted location.
- Cash (with small bills)
- Extra keys
- Tools – keep a set with you during the storm
- Vehicle fuel tank (kept filled)
- Pet care items, including drinking water
- Stock up on non-perishable emergency supplies
- One gallon of water per person per day
- Snack foods
- Cooking tools
- BBQ, camp stove, or other method of heating food
- Non-electric can opener
- Fuel, oil for generators, chainsaws, etc.
- Paper plates and plastic utensils
- First-aid kit
- Toiletries, hygiene items, moist wipes
- Weather & news apps downloaded to devices
- Bug repellant
- Duct tape
For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the LORD, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope.
~ Jeremiah 29:11