Discipline Committee Nominations
Members of the Committee on Discipline may be called to serve on a Discipline Hearing Panel when a formal charge has been brought against a rostered leader or a congregation of the ELCA. The Hearing Panel consists of 12 persons (six from the synod committee and six from the churchwide committee). They serve as the body who hears the evidence against the rostered leader or congregation and the defense provided by the accused. The Hearing Panel is called upon to make a judgment as to the validity of the charges and to recommend actions appropriate to the outcome of their decision.
From the Synod Constitution:
†S11.03. The Committee on Discipline of this synod shall consist of 12 persons of whom six shall be ordained ministers and six shall be laypersons, who shall each be elected by the Synod Assembly for a term of six years without consecutive reelection.
- The functions of the Committee on Discipline of this synod are set forth in Chapter 20 of the Constitution, Bylaws, and Continuing Resolutions of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- The terms of committee members shall be staggered so that the terms of four committee members (two clergy and two lay) expire every two years.
- The Synod Council shall fill vacancies on the Committee on Discipline for any unexpired term.
The following skills, abilities, and/or gifts are required for a person to effectively serve on the Synod Consultation Committee:
- Ability and willingness to pray regularly for the ministry and congregations of the synod
- Openness to the guidance of the Holy Spirit
- Comfort in the gathering, discussing and discerning of potentially sensitive personal material
- Ability to maintain appropriate confidentiality when considering potentially sensitive personal material
- Voting member of a congregation of the synod
Please Note: This nomination is a nomination to the Nominating Committee (not the Synod Assembly). According to our constitution and bylaws, the Nominating Committee is responsible for preparing a slate of “at least one qualified candidate for each position available” which will be presented to the Synod Assembly. “Qualification will be based on a comparison of stated required or preferred skills, abilities, gifts, and experience with those possessed by the candidate(s).” (Both quotations are taken from section S9.03.A03 of the synod constitution.) Qualifications for each position are listed on the candidate form for each position. Submitting this nomination form is very much appreciated by the Nominating Committee but does not guarantee a position on the slate presented by the Nominating Committee. Additional nominations may be made from the floor of the Synod Assembly.
Deadline to submit nominations – April 8, 2022
Discipline Committee Candidate FormDeadline to submit nominations - April 8, 2022
As it is, there are many parts, but only one body. The eye cannot say to the hand, “I don’t need you.”
~ 1 Corinthians 12:20-22a